Re: WM Question

At 06:11PM on Sat, May 23, 1998, Max Watson <redline@pdq.net> sent:
> WindowMaker - The WM maintainers/hackers seem to want to get GNOME
> compliant, but due to some miscommunication, some of them are pissed off.
> Now that a good GNOME<->wm proposal has been made, maybe some work will
> progress toward that goal. The proposed wm hints have some features that
> would work well with WM.

I don't know how anyone can call "You'll have to figure out for yourself what
a GNOME-aware window manager means, and don't expect us to help" a good
proposal.  I don't know about you, but I certainly learnt in high school that
a programming project proposal of "Hi, we'd like you to write a program.  We're
not quite sure what it does, or how it's going to look, you can figure that out
for yourself" is not going to get you very far.  But then, I didn't really
expect much from the GNOME people considering the bias towards Enlightenment.

So until the GNOME developers decide to explain what services GNOME requires
from a window manager and what services it can provide back, there's nothing
I as a professional programmer can do to help them wrt. WindowMaker.  And the
current core WindowMaker developer shares this same opinion also.  We cannot
assist when we're left out in the dark.

--
Matt