Re: WM Question

At 10:18 PM 5/24/98 +1000, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
>At 06:11PM on Sat, May 23, 1998, Max Watson <redline@pdq.net> sent:
>> WindowMaker - The WM maintainers/hackers seem to want to get GNOME
>> compliant, but due to some miscommunication, some of them are pissed off.
>> Now that a good GNOME<->wm proposal has been made, maybe some work will
>> progress toward that goal. The proposed wm hints have some features that
>> would work well with WM.
>
>I don't know how anyone can call "You'll have to figure out for yourself
what
>a GNOME-aware window manager means, and don't expect us to help" a good
>proposal.  I don't know about you, but I certainly learnt in high school that
>a programming project proposal of "Hi, we'd like you to write a program.
We're
>not quite sure what it does, or how it's going to look, you can figure
that out
>for yourself" is not going to get you very far.  But then, I didn't really
>expect much from the GNOME people considering the bias towards Enlightenment.
>
>So until the GNOME developers decide to explain what services GNOME requires
>from a window manager and what services it can provide back, there's nothing
>I as a professional programmer can do to help them wrt. WindowMaker.  And the
>current core WindowMaker developer shares this same opinion also.  We cannot
>assist when we're left out in the dark.

Like I said, the WMaker people are really pissed off. :) If you actually
read the gnome-list, you would have seen Marko Macek's very nice (and
currently implemented in icewm) proposal for a pretty comprehensive set of
hints for wm interaction. It even has considerations designed with WMaker
in mind.  Not only that, but I made a proposal myself a few months ago that
got shot down. If the lack of a proposal upset you that much, you could
have contributed one yourself. I suggest you search the mailing list
archives, or simply check the WmHints proposal link off of the GNOME
ideas/proposal page. And I would like to think that GNOME is not E-centric.
Check the FAQ, or read the message to which you just replied. I listed
several window managers that are progressing toward GNOME awareness. (My
apologies to the amiwm people for not including them in my list.)

Here's the list again, since you obviously didn't bother to read it the
first time:

1. Enlightenment
2. Icewm
3. fvwm2 (a la fvwm2GNOME)
4. SCWM
5. Amiwm
6. OLVWM (eventually)
7. WindowMaker (if they ever stop holding a grudge) :)

M.Watson <redline@pdq.net>
Simulation. Do not drive in ocean.