Re: Compiling mc: libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'

John> Well, for the short term, I removed gemvt from the makefile.
John> However, I would still like to know what's going on.  I checked
John> my libgnomeui.so with nm, and it had dgettext.  Also, gcc had
John> -lintl in its parameter list.

dgettext is referenced by libgnomeui.so -- not defined by it.  That's
the meaning of the "U" that nm prints.

John> Is this error caused by the implementation not existing in the
John> library, or the gemvt code calling the library or function
John> improperly, i.e. which side of the fence is to blame?

It probably means that libintl wasn't linked into gemvt.  The reason
for this is a silly technical problem in the gettext configuration
stuff, plus the fact that gemvt has its own configure script.  (I.e.,
you don't want to know.)

You can use "make LIBS=-lintl" as a workaround.

Tom