Re: How to add new file 'strerror.c' to gnome-common/support ?

>> * If you got the file from somewhere else, and you expect to have
>> to merge in changes from an external source, use "cvs update".

Martin> I took mine from glibc and changed it a little bit. So if I
Martin> understand you correctly, I can use 'cvs add' - but what about
Martin> 'cvs update', how can I incorporate a new file into the
Martin> repository with 'cvs update' ?

Sorry, but you misunderstand.

For sources like strerror.c, you must *always* use "cvs import".  If
you import the file, then you can easily re-import it when it changes
(e.g., the glibc maintainer makes it better somehow) -- and have your
Gnome-local changes automatically incorporated.

Martin> Also, I now have the problem that there is an existant
Martin> (non-working) strerror.c - should I remove it first or just
Martin> override it with the new one and remove the 'libiberty' tag ?

As a general rule, don't ever remove a tag.

If you need to change the version of strerror.c, just do this:

1. "cvs import" the *unchanged* version you want.  Use the same vendor
tag ("GNU") but a different release tag (whatever is appropriate)

2. cvs update your working copy

3. Apply your patches

4. cvs commit your changes

However, Hari seems to think that the glibc version isn't needed.  I'd
try what he suggests first.

Tom