Installing Gnome, we need a tutorial (and I'm volunteering) - GC FAQ , needs updating

Since documentation is sparse for most gnome apps, I think that, besides the
numerous tutorials/FAQs on how to get & compile gnome, we need a simple
point on how to make the apps work on your X setup. The general way to do
this, as I see, is:

1) Make sure smproxy is running (I haven't use XSM before, so please
enlighten me.. is this a daemon run by root or something you start in your
.xsession? Do you start it *before* or *after* gnome-session?)
2) Make gnome-session the exec'd program in your .xsession (most people
either use xsm or their WM;)
3) If you where using xsm as your session manager, dump it. If you were
using your WM, just execute it in your .xsession before gnome-session.
4) su to root and edit /usr/local/share/apps/ to suit your system. Read
existing entries to figure out how new ones should be made.

Question: what is the difference between TryExec= and Exec= in the
application definition files? I assume one is to see wether the app exists
and the other to run it, or something?

If someone will please answer the above questions I'll write up a small
document explaining the steps in more detail so others don't have to figure
it out for themsleves (like I did :-)), and someone can put it on the web
site.

BTW, one more need: GNOME-compile-faq sections 2.2 and 2.3 should be updated
immediately. They seem to be the primary FAQs on this mailing list, and
they're not answered in full. A diagram of *all* dependancies and a list of
*all* modules is needed. It's really only 5 minutes work, and is very useful
since cvs doesn't offer a way to list all available modules and you have to
make round trips to the FTP server to see what's available. Plus the most
common problem in compiling is compiling in the wrong order.

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of `true'.
                         - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --