Re: Opendoc (was Re: spell checking)

My tu'penny worth:

Martijn van Beers <sauron@il.fontys.nl> writes:
Martijn> I think it would be a good thing (tm) if Linux got something like
Martijn> OLE (i.e. Opendoc), no matter how opposed most of you are to the
Martijn> 'bloat' of CORBA, office suites and the like.

For most users to be comfortable with formatting their M$ OS in favour
of a free Desktop such as gnome, a good _free_ office suite will be necessary.
Infact, for most hackers to be comfortable with removing their M$ partitions,
a good _free_ office suite will be necessary. ...IMHO =)O|

Something *functionally* like OLE is going to be needed to get the kind
of integration and interoperation necessary to write such an office suite.

However much people might defame OLE, I am sure there are very few of
us who are opposed to a good office suite which is well integrated with
the desktop.  Hell, even if it *is* bloated, just don't install it if it
upsets you so much... the 500M I can reclaim from my M$ C: partition is sure
to be adequate to contain even a bloated office suite =)O|