Opendoc (was Re: spell checking)

> Dick> Similar thoughts here. Does anyone know if OpenDoc is still the
> Dick> OMG standard for the Compound Document Format? I keep seeing
> Dick> references to Javabeans, instead, now that OpenDoc seems to have
> Dick> died off. I hope this doesnt mean having to embed a JVM!
> I have no idea what is going on here.  But if a JVM is required then
> they have completely failed in their job.  One of the whole points of
> the thing is that CORBA doesn't tie to you a particular implementation
> technology.
AFAIK Opendoc was never a OMG standard. It was an Apple thing that has
died. The Apple site (opendoc.apple.com) says you can 'obtain source code
and porting rights from CI Labs through April 1997'

I think it would be a good thing (tm) if Linux got something like OLE
(i.e. Opendoc), no matter how opposed most of you are to the 'bloat' of
CORBA, office suites and the like. If GNOME wants to be the user-friendly
desktop system I hope it is going to be, we need to look at the users wishes,
not just our own. And most users are used to, expect and demand a good office
suite.

So, I hope someone a little higher in the GNOME hierarchy and with a little
more CORBA knowledge will contact Apple to find out what the actual Opendoc
status is at the moment.

cya,
Martijn

--