Re: spell checking

Dick> I would like to see the CORBAfacilities model used for things
Dick> like spellcheckers. Unfortunately OMG doesnt seem to have come
Dick> up with anything in the facilities spec yet, so following the
Dick> "standard" would be impossible.

I'm always leery of using the OMG interfaces.  They always seem too
complicated, and rarely is there any rationale given for the
complexity.  I especially don't like the prospect of waiting 6 months
to get a spec that I won't like anyway.

I'd prefer to use OMG "standards" where they already exist and are not
too much.  In other cases I'd prefer we just roll our own.

Dick> Similar thoughts here. Does anyone know if OpenDoc is still the
Dick> OMG standard for the Compound Document Format? I keep seeing
Dick> references to Javabeans, instead, now that OpenDoc seems to have
Dick> died off. I hope this doesnt mean having to embed a JVM!

I have no idea what is going on here.  But if a JVM is required then
they have completely failed in their job.  One of the whole points of
the thing is that CORBA doesn't tie to you a particular implementation
technology.

Tom