GMedia ramblings...

Right guys,

I've decided to accept the challenge.
I'm trashing GMedia as it stands now, and turning it into something a bit
more flexible.
It is basically a Gnome media widget with pluggable backends. The backends
are shared libraries, similar in nature to the SANE backends. The widget may
be invisible (i.e. it will just play the data, good for audio), partially
visible (i.e. there will be a VCR-type toolbar, again good for audio, where
user control is wanted), and fully visible (video). A backend may handle
more than one format. Backends will either have built-in functionality, or
invoke external programs (eg. xanim). There will probably be a mailcap
backend as a fallback if all others fail. This is also good for non-free
players: we just include the handler, but not the player. Users can then
download other bits and pieces (MP3 player, etc).

I'm starting off with the implementation of an XMP-based module player, and
add the others later. There will also be a generic Gnome Media Player which
will use the widget.

Please send comments asap before I consolidate all of this.

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant                                   ttarrant@suntlc.etnoteam.it
Lo sai che la tua faccia somiglia a  |You know your face looks like one who