Re: GMedia ramblings... (corba!)

Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> Right guys,
>
> I've decided to accept the challenge.
> I'm trashing GMedia as it stands now, and turning it into something a bit
> more flexible.
> It is basically a Gnome media widget with pluggable backends. The backends
> are shared libraries, similar in nature to the SANE backends.

I was just wondering (get ready to flame me ;-) if you might think about
implementing the shared library back-end through corba interfaces. Mico
can load corba objects in shared libraries (activation mode=shared),
which simply adds a single level of indirection (which I assume you'd
get anyway if you are dynamically linking plug-ins - do you execute a
functions via a function pointer table?). Of course this may throw up
problems if GMedia is a C program (I don't know much about Elliot's C
bindings, and I'm not sure about how the shared activation object
adaptor handles non C++ code).

What this would potentially give you is the ability to write plugin's in
any language, without loosing the speed if you write them in C or C++.

If it can't be done with mico, maybe the code for loading shared lib
objects could be shared with the orbit project?

Cheers,

Phil.

BTW: should you be posting to gnome-list@gnome.org rather than
gnome@nuclecu.unam.mx ?

 Phil Dawes                               |   My opinions are my own
 WWW:    err.. temporarily non-existant   |   and nothing to do with
 Email:  philipd@parallax.co.uk           |      my employer.