Re: First impressions - USER report

> > > Startup of the panel applets. They were OK once started, but
> > > initially...
> >
> > well ithas several reasons really .... we have a few X apps starting at
> > once, I haven't yet figured out a way to at least partly order them
> > so that we wait till one starts up before starting another ... well
> > I dunno ..
>
> Maybe you should have a look at toolwait(1)

it isn't as easy, as that ... but it might not be all that hard ... but
what I need is a failproof way ... what popped into my mind is not
starting any applets untilteh first one has mappend, thens tart the
second one ..  etc ... still I don't think that will actually improve
speed too much ...  anothe way might be to start em all and have them
wait to map themselves ... still most of these schemes are pretty
fragile, while the current one isn't ... when I find a good way of doing it
... I'll do it ...

actually what might be the thing that slows it down the most is the
constant resizing of the panel on startup caused by alll the
size_allocates flying all around ... that might be solved by somehow
tuning the startup of the panel-widget ...

but I don't see that as a bad problem .. there are far worse problems
right now that need to be addresed

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: