Re: Gnome Status Report

Vollmer Marius  <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Aldy Hernandez <aldy@abulafia.uaa.edu> writes:
>
> > yes, i am in the process of rewriting in C.  i can't be playing
> > catchup with the scheme bindings forever, and the speed will be an
> > added bonus.
>
> Could you elaborate on your problems with the Scheme bindings?

ok, my comment was a bit unfair, i'm sorry.  what i really should have
said was that

1. the toolbar widget hasn't been exported to scheme (and it's not as
straightforward as using the gtk.defs

2. we sorely need an automatic binding generating mechanism for the
gtk widgets as well as the libgnome and libgnomeui routines.  last i
checked there was this gnomeg.c hack in which one had to manually
write wrappers for all the libgnome/ui routines.

3. guile startup is relatively slow (i know, this is has nothing to do
with the bindigs)-- just one of miguel's reasons for asking me to
rewrite cromagnon in C.

regarding #2, i haven't been able to figure out how to get the scheme
bindings working for 0.13-- i think they're not included, am i right?

i really liked your gtk.defs idea, but it seems we need something to
be generated automatically or force everyone to update the gtk.defs
file appropriately.

i know this is my fault, but i don't have much time to devote to
updating the bindings myself.  at the present time, it's much easier
for me to just hack out C code and not have to worry about "is this
routine implmented in scheme?", etc.

i would gladly write everything in scheme if the bindings were in
sync.

aldy