Re: a few notes on gncal

famrom@ran.es (Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero) writes:

> Two things first about keybindings:
> - A default must be set (so Gnome can be used just after installation).
> - But a way to configure is a must, so you can use a personal, Emacs, Mac,
> Amiga, Windoze ... set of keybindings (so hackers: start coding with this in
> mind, or you will have to do it later).
>
> >Speaking of this, most PC keyboards these days also have those 3
> >useless win95 keys. Can we say more accellerators! Mac's also have
> >3 accelerators (command, control and option). I have also seen some
> >Paynix keyboards that have special keys, or ones with special names.
>
> Dunno how Mac and Paynix keyboards work... but the Windoze keys,
> IMO, are just "soldered wires" to two keys. Winlogo is Ctrl-Esc and
> Menu is Shift-F10. So I think this two (three) keys are stupid, and
> useless. They will cause problems, IMHO. I have tested the combos in
> normal and windoze keyboards, in both work, dunno if they use
> different key codes that windoze reads, or there is no new keycodes
> (so keyboard generates fake key presses and windoze detects the
> combo).

No, they aren't. They generate their own scan codes (keycodes?
whatever); 115, 116 and 117, from left to right. Try xev.

> Anybody knows where to get old keyboards? They have big space key,
> you can play Quake without hitting a wrong key... :] Free Hardware
> Foundation (a place to find good hardware without mad trends)?

Dunno about mad trends, but I like the Bill keys. I use the flying
windows keys as mod3 with the window manager so that ctrl and alt are
free for apps to use, and I have mapped the menu key to Multi_key
(compose), which makes typing all sorts of weird accented characters
relatively painless. But as always, YMMV.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / juri@iki.fi / <URL:http://www.iki.fi/juri/> ]