Panel segsevs on saves?

Every time the panel goes to save its session state, most of its attached applets (as far as I can tell, everything except the bus sign) segsev. I'm running a mixed RH-5.0 system with the erratified RH5.1 jpeg-and-related libs and all the redhat and gnome rpms from /pub/GNOME/v0.20. I've seen a few other people report the problem and basically I'm wondering if anyone has a solution or a workaround or whatever that doesn't involve compiling the Whole Damn Thing.
--
CP/M
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption]