Gnome for RH5.1 only?

I'm going to give a try compiling gnome from the source rpms. My target machine is a RH4.2, so running libc5. I haven't any reason to upgrade to RH5.1 nor glibc yet.

I can undernstand that the gnome proyect doesn't want to build binaries for libc5. But I want to know if the source rpms are ready to be rebuilded in a RH system < RH5.x.

If no, I wonder if I'm going to be forced to upgrade to RH5.1 in the same way that M$ force to their customers to upgrade programs the way they want.

              - Joe -