Re: XML: status update

Christopher Blizzard writes:
>                              I just would like to see HTTP used in
> applications for transferring data around.

	HTTP-NG, which is currently a W3C research effort, is
completely different from HTTP/1.x, and is more of a distributed
object invocation protocol.  The primary ILU developers are involved
with the HTTP-NG effort, and ILU can now use the HTTP-NG protocol as
its transport, which means that you can layer CORBA on top of it.
I've been told privately that the first draft of the wire protocol
should be made public in July.  (That also means GNOME could use ILU
temporarily while writing a GPLed HTTP-NG implementation.)

	However, HTTP-NG is definitely a research effort, and there's
no guarantee whatsoever of its being adopted as a standard, much less
of its being widely implemented.  Still, it's worth keeping an eye on
the effort.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
When John Ryder, for instance, writes "I utter valediction to the author of my