Re: XML: status update

> Does DOM allow for access to partially parsed documents? (eg. for use
> in a www browser that does progressive rendering while the xml stream
> is being read).

  http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-DOM/level-one-core.html
------------
Method createElement() etc...
------------
  Definitely yes ! In fact I'm thinking that the parser back-end will
use DOM API to build the document in the process context or in the
client context through Corba.

> >  This however lacks an important part of what should be the ideal
> >  XML support, i.e. the rendering of such an XML content, either from
> >  a browser point of view or for editing.
>
> That would at least also require XSL support. But in any case, I think
> it is important _not_ to mix rendering issues with the parsing/document
> access things.

 Agreed, I was just hoping that some work had been done w.rt. rendering.
Note however that a display centered toward editing of the document can
be easier since one can drop idea of a "nice" rendering for something
more functionnal for entering text/changing the structure.

> I have worked purely on the parser/document access for Mnemonic, not on
> any of the rendering modules. If we want to build a generic XML/XSL
> rendering engine for Gnome I'm sure the Mnemonic team can be of help as
> well, but it's really something different.

 Yep,

> > P.S. I would be interested too in providing a Network access module for
> >      HTTP and FTP based on the libWWW code (in the same CVS base).
>
> Mnemonic also contains a fairly well thought out network module, usable
> outside of the browser itself. We'd be interested in collaborating on
> that project as well.

  What codebase do you use ? What are the HTTP/1.1 features it implements ?
I would be interested in looking at the API for the application. LibWWW has
it's own API but it might be considered too "low-level" while extremely
versatile.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,