Re: XML and GNOME community

Daniel.Veillard@w3.org writes:

|    Just one point, XML files are definitely not intended for human
|   consumption I mean that trying to edit them by hand would be a
|   disaster.

Quite the opposite -- the XML parser will be your friend.

|   Basically XML would be fine to store internal state, but not for
|   configuration files where the user may have to modify them. Forgot
|   an ending tag or misspell it and the whole config file will be lost
|   since XML requires well formed documents.

If the XML parser complains, the user will have to fix the file; it's
better than to edit a config file in an arbitrary format (e.g.,
/etc/printcap).  The user, who wants to edit the XML file, may do it;
but sure, an specialized XML editor would be nice.

--
Karl Eichwalder          S.u.S.E. GmbH          Fax       +49-911-3206727
ke@suse.de               Gebhardtstrasse 2      Mo & Th      13:00-18:00: