Come on Guys!!. More Term Related Problems (Please read and try)

Come on guys what is the matter, isnt anybody interested in what might be
a potential problem. I have not even seen a single response from anybody.
I hope someone takes some time

___________Priviou Message___________________________

I have another similar situation

Please refer to my message posted earlier, about gnome-session hanging the
X session. I have included my older message in the end.

Steps:
i  ) Make an .xinitrc file like in the message below.

#************* .xinitrc ************
gnome-session
## End .xinitrc

ii ) Start the xsession
iii) Start gimp using <Panel>/Graphics/The Gimp
iv ) Open an xterm and send gimp a signal like
     kill -SEGV <gimp PID>
v  ) Bingo! you have a hung X session (At least I do on three machines
           running RH-4.2 and RH-5)

I would not know until someone else tries that I am doing something wrong.
Same thing will happen if you launch gimp from gmc (desktop icon) and
do not enable "Use Terminal" option. If gimp has a terminal association
everything goes fine. It does work fine if gimp (or other apps) are
started from IceWM or AfterStep.

It could be in the way gnome-session does exec(3) and waitpid(2). I will
be very thankful if someone confirms the test.

FT

____________________________ Earlier Message____________________________

I recently discovered a problem in gnome-session and gmc that completely
hangs my X session. It could be a OS issue too. It happens because I have
the command
	stty erase '^h'
in my .bashrc

My .xinitrc is as follows
#************* .xinitrc ************
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
gnome-session

## End .xinitrc

Now as soon as the panel or gmc tries to exec an app. It hangs the
Xsession. And I can see the stty command in the process table. It never
exits.

The stty command goes into infinite loop and keeps catching SIGTTOU
__
ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = ?
ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
___ SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) ---
ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = ?
ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
___ SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) ---
ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = ?
ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
__

I can eliminate the problem by commenting out the stty command. But still
there are a lot of commands that need a terminal association, and any of
those commands end up hanging my X session. For example:
If I make a link on my desktop (gmc) for a command like

/usr/games/mame pacman  # mame is using svgalib here

Now in properties if I select the button Use Terminal, everything goes OK.
And if i deselect the Use Terminal Button. It hangs when it tries to exec.
mame.
program usuall hange at ioctl call:

ioctl(0, VT_WAITACTIVE)

I could not find anything on this IOCTL call.
I will soon try to write a detailed report on what happens. But the
explaination might be obvuios to somebody and it might save me all the
trouble.

I had the same problem with KDE one year ago, but instead of trying to
understand the problem, everybody on the KDE Mailing list started jumping
all over me. I hope I figure it out this time.