Re: UI Rantings [was: Re: gmc and file-selection mockups]

"Jesse D. Sightler" wrote:

> > > Notice my remark again, "using the context menu of a file".  I said
> > > nothing about the open dialog.  If files are to have context menus, and
> > > it is my belief that they should, then they should be consistent.
> >
> > Ummm, the idea of Context menus is that they are related to their
> > context. I'm sure quite a few users would wonder why "Print" is in the
> > same context as an Open Dialog.
>
> Ok, then should there be context sensitive menu's associated with files
> at all?

>From the Open/Save Dialogs? Not in my opinion. A redesign of them is
inevitable to deal with things like sort methods, date/time displays,
etc. I just want to make sure it doesn't get blown way out of
proportion.:-)

> > > And again, you statement is one of philosophy, and mine is purely
> > > pragmatic.  Even a button to open gmc adds overhead to the process (time
> > > to open a new window, etc).  My technique is efficient, and consistent.
> > >
> > > -----------
> > > Jesse D. Sightler
> >
> > All Design is Philosophy.
>
> Agreed. Even mine is a philosophy.  Let's try to get to the bottom of
> what really makes us think differently on this, and BTW, I have yet to
> be convinced that it is really one of "Kitchen Sink" versus simplicity
> of design.
>
> ---------------
> Jesse D. Sightler
> http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

My appologies for the flamage that I've been spewing forth onto the list
as of the last few days. There isn't really an excuse for it, other than
there are some things I am passionate about, good user interface design
being one of them.

As for the "what makes our philosophies differ" question, I believe that
your design ideas stem from a "what does the uber-advanced user want"
perspective, whereas mine stem from the "only seven items at a time so
as not to confuse the new users" camp. Different approaches to the same
problem. Both solve them, it's just a matter of who is the program
designed for.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals