Re: UI Rantings [was: Re: gmc and file-selection mockups]

"James M. Cape" wrote:

> > > Because it shouldn't be there! Open != Printing! Opening an Open Dialog
> > > to print a file is not the correct way to do it, because it promotes a
> > > bad habit (like putting spaces in created directories). Best to leave it
> > > out, so new users don't pick it up.
> >
> > Notice my remark again, "using the context menu of a file".  I said
> > nothing about the open dialog.  If files are to have context menus, and
> > it is my belief that they should, then they should be consistent.
>
> Ummm, the idea of Context menus is that they are related to their
> context. I'm sure quite a few users would wonder why "Print" is in the
> same context as an Open Dialog.

Ok, then should there be context sensitive menu's associated with files
at all?

> > > Crossover is not a good thing.
> >
> > And again, you statement is one of philosophy, and mine is purely
> > pragmatic.  Even a button to open gmc adds overhead to the process (time
> > to open a new window, etc).  My technique is efficient, and consistent.

> > Jesse D. Sightler
>
> All Design is Philosophy.

Agreed. Even mine is a philosophy.  Let's try to get to the bottom of
what really makes us think differently on this, and BTW, I have yet to
be convinced that it is really one of "Kitchen Sink" versus simplicity
of design.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/