Re: Panel segfaults immediately

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:10:08 -0500, Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu>
wrote:

>  The panel segfaults whenever I try to load it.  This has been
>happening for ~24 hours now; everything relevant is the latest
>from CVS with GNOME_STABLE tags on gnome-libs and gnome-core.  The
>output I get is (apologies for the long lines, my console is 132x50):
>
>Unable to connect to server port 35091
>This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound server
>
>** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
>
>Segmentation fault

>  Ah!  Revelation dawns..I just tried manually starting up gnome_name_servi=
>ce
>and it works.  Perhaps the panel should try to start one itself if it doesn=
>'t
>find one?

It does. Something is going wrong with the starting up - that's what the "***
WARNING" is about.

I'd be eternally grateful if you could find why execing gnome-name-service
fails. I haven't had this problem so I can't fix it :)
It is done inside gnome-libs/libgnorba/orbitns.c

If you don't have gnome-name-service on your $PATH, that would be the
problem...
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg