GNOME Desktop.

Hello everyone.

I have tried installing the KDE; installation was easy
(including recompile); but it is SLOW. Slower than
Windows NT/98 and much slower than OS/2 PM/WPS <- this
thing has SOM behind so I'm clueless what they did to
the desktop to make it THAT slow. I think KDE Beta2 was
faster then KDE 1.0. :((.

Whatever you guys do to GNOME. Make it *usable*, *fast*
and after all that, *good looking*.

Then I tried installing GNOME (with recompile) and
it failed during compilation (RH5.2). Not to mention
the bad installation documentation :), where error
messages were giving me the clues what to do next
(No I did not see www.gnome.org as a friend brought
me the latest GNOME on a ZIP).

So I ended up installing the binaries that were on my
RH5.2 cd. GNOME now runs without problems.
The question is:
KDE has its own desktop (window manager); what window
manager is most GNOME aware. I'd like to have a KDE
desktop a la GNOME ;-))).  (I liked KDE desktop, just
if it was faster :().

Enlightment?
AfterStep?

best regards,
Rok Papez.

Student at Faculty of Computer and Information Science,
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.