Re: GNOME Desktop.

This is very strange. I've installed KDE 1.0 in the past and it seemed
extremely usable to me. It was not nearly as slow as either NT or OS/2,
although I didn't take the time to mess around with every feature of it
either.
What little I do know regarding GNOME vs. KDE in speed in regarding the
CORBA programs. KDE uses a program called mico, which is what GNOME used
for awhile before it was decided that it would potentially speed things up
by writing a C-based ORB, and hence sprung ORBit.

Regardless of that, I still maintain my claim that KDE is not unusably
slow. You may have installed it incorrectly, or you may not have a very
high- (or even middle-) end machine. I use a 233mhz K6 with 64 megs of
memory, which seems to be fairly middle-of-the-road these days.

Read www.gnome.org to see what window managers currently support GNOME. I
know that Enlightenment is the only one that is completely up-to-date with
GNOME, and icewm and WindowMaker are also attempting to achieve
GNOME-compliance.

Best regards,
  Cody