Whose end is this broken on. . .

I'm going to have lots of time this weekend, so I was going to start
doing some GNOME programming.

I downloaded the newest glib, gtk, ORBit, gnome-libs and gnome-core,
and compiled them in that order.

I ran into a runtime problem, and I can't decide if this is in the
software, or if something is weird about my setup; this all worked
before I updated.

The problem is that the panel won't allow applets.  When starting it
up from just an xterm, I get: "Unable to connect to server port
35091".  The panel runs, but no applets (I had to blow away my previous
settings, because if it tries to start up applets when it is run, it
bombs).  All other apps give the same error message.

My first thought is that this has something to do with ORBit, but I
don't know enough about how everything hangs together to be sure.  I'd
rather not become familiar until it all works right, either.

Any help is really appreciated.

On a more positive note, I have to really complement everyone working
on this.  I installed KDE for my roomate (he uses the computer for
web browsing, and to check his mail), so that he wouldn't be left
hanging when something in GNOME failed to work correctly, and even
though it works more slickly than GNOME right now, it didn't feel as
professional, to me.  So, keep up the good work.  I'll
try to contribute something RSN.

--
Michael Bruce  | http://www.infinet.com/~bruce UPDATE 8-10-1998
"I am already the undisputed KING of Usenet and all Government