Re: [Fwd: GMC: Recreating the best console file manager for X]

I also like the MC/NC layout, but think it could be extended.  What I
think would be nice would be the ability to have an arbitrarynumber of
panes in one MC window.  That way, people who like win95 explorer
interface can choose to have one pane, and set MC to use the icon view,
while those who like MC/NC can use two panes and use a listing view.

I think that there would be times whenhaving more than two panes would be
useful.  Consider having two panes with directory listings, and an NC
style QuickView pane, showing the contents of the selected file.  That way
you could look at the contents of files while selecting some to be copied
to another directory.

Of course this feature could co exist with having multiple MC windows,
kind of like when running emacs under X.

James Henstridge.