Re: [Fwd: GMC: Recreating the best console file manager for X]

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Bruno Widmann wrote:

> i think gmc should have same layout & basic design as console-mc, because
> that's allmost perfect (as was norton commander for dos). Add drag&drop to
> that, but don't remove functionality...

I just wanted to step up front to say that i agree with your statement.

I think that the removal of the traditional MC (or NC) layout is actually
a very sad loss regarding functionality. The bad thing about all those
single pane layouts like the Win95 Explorer or KFM are a step backwards in
true useability because they make you depend upon using a mouse (try
copying a few files in MC and then again with GMC to see what i mean) and
thus taking away choice instead of adding to it.

                                            Ciao, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our WWW pages to be visited  at  "http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender"