Re: Harmony + GNOME (Was: Re: C++)

> > Anyway, my .02. Summary: porting a cross platform toolkit to Gnome and
> > using it sounds great to me; trying to emulate Gnome look and feel with
> > some random X-only toolkit sounds a little silly, but no one will keep you
> > from doing it.
>
>   Harmony isn't a wrapper. It's what you'd call a random X-only toolkit;
> it's main aim is to make KDE a real GPL environment (currently RMS says
> that its use of Qt violates the GPL). But it would also be nice if you
> could write an app that was both gnome-compliant and KDE-compliant, or if
> you could use Harmony to write gnome apps as well as KDE ones. Hence my
> question here. But since noone's radically objected I guess we'll go ahead
> with putting in gtk compatibility and see what people say when we have
> more working.

just a theoretical question ... how would anyone stop you even if someone
did object ... ??? ...

the reason msot people are slightly opposed to multiple toolkits is that
toolkit libs take memory ... if everything was gtk ... even wrappers ...
then memory footprint would be reduced ... plus things such as
libgnomeui wouldn't have to be ported and increase memory footprint yet
once more plus any change in the gtk/libgnomeui ... nicely propagates
to the wrappers (well simple changes anyhow) ... and features such as
themes are likely only to work on gtk apps .. unless the theme author
puts in a harmony theme as well ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: