Re: Panel Question

Quoting emacs (jkain@scudc.scu.edu):
> Hi, I have just started writing gnome apps and so far I have been
> able to figure out what I am doing.  I have written a loadmeter
> that embeds itself into the panel.  I figurered that it should change
> its orientation with the panel, and I have gotten that to work just fine.
> The problem I am having is that I can not determine the orientation of the
> panel when my applet starts.  That is if the panel is vertical and the
> loadmeter is started my applet gets confused and starts out horizontal.
> How can I determine the orientation of the panel when I startup (ie
> without waiting for a change_orientation)?  I tired using applet_get_panel
> but couldn't link to it (I guess it isn't in libpanel_applet. Should it be?)
> Thanks for any help.

you can only use the CORBA interface since you can't go directly into
the panel ...

in fact what you describe should be happening ... when the applet is
started it has no way of knowing the orientation so most applets start
out as horizontal ... but the panel should send an orientation change
which you will catch as an orientation change .... the panel doesn't
know the orientation for a while too so it can't provide it before ...

if it doesn't automatically send an orientation change on startup
something is wrong

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: