Panel Question

Hi, I have just started writing gnome apps and so far I have been
able to figure out what I am doing.  I have written a loadmeter
that embeds itself into the panel.  I figurered that it should change
its orientation with the panel, and I have gotten that to work just fine.
The problem I am having is that I can not determine the orientation of the
panel when my applet starts.  That is if the panel is vertical and the
loadmeter is started my applet gets confused and starts out horizontal.
How can I determine the orientation of the panel when I startup (ie
without waiting for a change_orientation)?  I tired using applet_get_panel
but couldn't link to it (I guess it isn't in libpanel_applet. Should it be?)
Thanks for any help.

				Joseph Kain