Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

On  8 Apr, Phil Dawes shouted:
->  Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
->  >
->  > >>>>> "Phil" == Phil Dawes <philipd@parallax.co.uk> writes:
->  >
->  >     Phil> [...], but once you'd got that it'd be easy to connect to
->  >     Phil> the object and request the configuration info from it.
->  >
->  >     Phil> The question is, what does this approach really give us over
->  >     Phil> just having a configuration file in a standard
->  >     Phil> place.
->  >
->  >  What if one subwindow is from an application running on a remote
->  >  host?  You've got to ask it to mail you the info, right?
->  >
->
->  Hmmm.. hadn't thought of that. Damn my single-user polluted mind - I've
->  been using NT for too long!
->  How do other established X desktops (CDE) handle this at the moment?
->
->  I presume that if you're starting the app on a remote machine and you
->  don't have access to the config files, you still need a way of pointing
->  the app at the config object. Should this be a default gnome command
->  line argument (e.g. --GnomeConfigIOR)?
->  Actually, is there any way that the object could in some way be linked
->  to the X DISPLAY?

Yes. There is . Xresources. they've been round ever-since. X should be
used to transport ot at least negotiate a connection bewteen app and
config database - since X is the thing both will have in common - since
wer are talking desktops here... X IS your desktop.

->  Now if we had a corba trader service the app could ask it for a gnome
->  config object running on display=x.....
->
->  Cheers,
->
->  Phil.
->
->  P.S. For those who don't know, the corba trader service is a bit like
->  the naming service except that you don't query it with a name, you query
->  it with some services that you want and it returns references to objects
->  that can provide them.
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------