Re: A try at GNOME MDI

Jaka> what I've really been missing in the Gtk+ has been a MDI
Jaka> (Multiple Document Interface) widget (like the MDI in MFC), so
Jaka> I've implemented two GnomeMDI widgets: GnomeMDIPouch that stores
Jaka> GnomeMDIRoo widgets. The widgets seem to do their jobs well, but
Jaka> don't look very aesthetic yet.  If anybody is interested in
Jaka> taking a look at it, a source tarball is attached with this
Jaka> message. Is such a widget considered necessary?

I despise MDI.

That doesn't mean I'm against programs using it.  It does mean that
I'd like to have the option of turning it off globally.  I would never
want to use a program that is MDI-only.

Would it be possible to write the code so that if MDI is turned off
then the sub-windows become independent toplevels?

This isn't necessarily trivial since you have to decide how to handle
the top-level menu.  Perhaps this could be done by integrating with
the gnome-app code; the idea being that each "internal toplevel" would
have its own menu, and then in MDI mode the enclosing menubar would be
constructed by merging all the other menus.

Or perhaps Miguel will step in and slay MDI.  Hmm...

Tom