Re: Internationalizing / Documentation.

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

|   I think the best first step would be to download GNU gettext 0.10.32
|   (available via ftp from alpha.gnu.org) and read the documentation.
|   It explains the gory details of doing a translation.

Yes, that's the bst way to start.

[...]

|   There is an Emacs mode that should help with translation somewhat,
|   but I'm afraid I'm not very conversant with all the details.

Yes, right.  It's called po-mode and comes with the gettext package.
For a newer version and other details check out François Pinard's
homepage at http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/.

I'm wondering, wheter the message file should go the hard way like the
file of the other GNU packages (e.g., gcal, texinfo, hello): essentially
this mean, the programmer (distribution maker) has to mail the *.pot
files to the Translation Project Coordinator (François) who distributes
the files to the translation team all over the world.

François page explains this process in detail.

--
Karl Eichwalder         S.u.S.E. GmbH           Fax        +49-911-3206727
ke@suse.de              Gebhardtstrasse 2       Mo & Th       13:00-18:00: