Re: getting a domain of srilanaka.gnome.org

On 04/19/2011 10:37 PM, Christian Rose wrote:
2011/4/19 Danishka Navin<danishka gmail com>:
[...]
>  what i try to say is if you really have an issue with supporting us by
>  creating the subdomain and giving some space
>  the only solution is to create a basic blog at some where else.
There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

Most existing local community sites, to the best of my knowledge, use
some other ISP, and use a LL.gnome.org subdomain (language code) or
gnome.CC (country code) domain to point to that ISP. I.e. nothing is
hosted on GNOME servers, the GNOME domain just points to it, wherever
it is hosted.

I'll second what Christian said and would strongly recommend to find your own hosting in Sri Lanka. That's what I do whenever possible and it has several benefits: - you can do decide what CMS you use and have all the flexibility to change whenever you want - you get to involve some local companies to sponsor you, be it a hosting company from Sri Lanka (which in turn can provide speakers at specific occasion) or any other type of business/"rich" individual. Shared hosting in the US cost between $30 and $50 a year and would definitely suit you. $50 is nothing for a business. - by maintaining your own site, you get to learn some extra skills which might turn out to be useful later.

Well I hope this will be helpful in your community building.

Fred