Re: getting a domain of srilanaka.gnome.org

2011/4/19 Danishka Navin <danishka gmail com>:
[...]
> what i try to say is if you really have an issue with supporting us by
> creating the subdomain and giving some space
> the only solution is to create a basic blog at some where else.

There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

Most existing local community sites, to the best of my knowledge, use
some other ISP, and use a LL.gnome.org subdomain (language code) or
gnome.CC (country code) domain to point to that ISP. I.e. nothing is
hosted on GNOME servers, the GNOME domain just points to it, wherever
it is hosted.

However, for practical reasons with maintaining and for continuity, it
is best to let the GNOME Foundation own the domain, and the GNOME
sysadmin team manage the domain data. But still, we're only talking
about a domain, not content. Even though the GNOME Foundation owns
many local GNOME domains, and the GNOME sysadmin team manages the
domain data, the content is often hosted elsewhere, because the needs
differ between local communities, and GNOME cannot have the same
variety of offerings and support as any ISP.

GNOME is a community project, mostly made by volunteers. So is the
sysadmin team as well. GNOME is not and can never be an ISP with a
support contract. If that is what you want, you should contact a
commercial ISP.

Olav, a hard working volunteer, is working hard figuring out what
specific technical bits you need, if you really want your site hosted
on the GNOME servers. So far there has unfortunately been little
detail. Please be kind and specific. Otherwise volunteer community
sysadmins may not be able to help you.

Christian