Re: Let's talk about deploying Snowy, aka Tomboy Online

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Jeff Schroeder <jeffschroed gmail com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Sandy Armstrong
> <sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
>
> Is there anything out of the ordinary in snowy or is this just a
> standard django application?

Nope, it's pretty standard.

>> We think now is a great time to get Snowy deployed on GNOME servers
>> for alpha testing by a few select users (who are willing to risk their
>> data to Snowy and to the GNOME servers and infrastructure team).
>
> Using your tomboy-online domain is fine by me, but you might want to
> run this by the marketing teams. The only thing I'd ask is if you want
> to use tomboy-online.org, let us host the dns.

Sure thing.  I'll at least ask Paul and Stormy.

>> For myself, I do not have a lot of experience with deploying or
>> maintaining web applications.  Brad, the other maintainer, has quite a
>> bit more experience, but less free time.  We are hoping that you
>> talented folks on the infrastructure team can fill this gap for us, so
>> that we can all have a little more confidence in this project.
>
> We could also pawn this off on Ray :)
> I'd be happy to help him with fixing the dns and mucking with the
> apache config for wsgi.

Great, thanks!

>> Alright, so much for introductions.  Let's get to work.  I would love
>> to put together a list of concrete tasks to get this started.  I'm
>> happy to discuss the nitty gritty on this list, or in #snowy on
>> GIMPNet.  We also have a snowy-list but I'm guessing deployment
>> discussion is more appropriate for gnome-infrastructure-list.
>
> Sounds good. How about you put together the list of concrete tasks and
> then we can go from there?

Well, from my point of view the tasks are:

1. Tell sysadmin team to read INSTALL and WSGI deployment wiki page
2. Wait for them to tell us what is missing
3. Fix stuff
4. ???
5. Profit!

So right now I'm in step 2. :-)

By the way, if other sysadmin folks are interested, we're going to
have another Snowy planning meeting this weekend:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/snowy-list/2010-March/msg00012.html

Cheers,
Sandy