Re: Evolution Express - hosting account sniffing ...

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 08:51 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:35 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Can we host a set of nearly static, seldom changed XML files for these
> > guys on http://api.gnome.org/ somewhere ?
> >
> > 	Clearly - it would really help to get that setup quickly :-) Paul - any
> > ideas ?
> >
> > 	The files we need are currently also installed for off-line use and are
> > in evolution HEAD git inside:
> >
> > 	evolution/capplet/settings/mail-autoconfig/
> >
> > 	Under 1Mb of disk, of which we would serve sub 1k per user setting up a
> > new account.
>
> Another option might be http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/.
>
> I don't know about access times -- seems fairly snappy to me -- but the
> content there is already under source control and since I feed and care
> for the Evolution website anyway these days, I could upload the XML
> files today if you wanted.
>
> Matt

Ok, just to recap our discussion in IRC:

1 - We would like GNOME to host user config files for Evolution so users
can have auto-setup of their email clients by Evolution automatically
downoading a small XML file with the ISP's server settings

2 - This is a 1kb file that may be downloaded up to every 3 seconds for
a sustained bandwidth of 355bytes / sec - 2.8kBit

3 - There is a valid concern we don't want our main webserver (Window)
to have to serve this.  api.gnome.org was originally suggested, but that
lives on Window already

With that said, our best options would probably be a VM on Combobox (or
move api.gnome.org to Combobox) or possibly Signal as OSUOSL has a lot
of bandwidth (though we have some LDAP issues we'd have to fix).  One
advantage of using Combobox is we want to run Snowy on it and it could
become our "GNOME Web Services" VM hosted box.

4 - From reading the email, the XML scripts won't change that often, but
we need to provide a way for the Evolution developers to update the XML
files when needed.

I'd like to get feedback / concerns / suggestions from the rest of the
Sysadmin team.

Thanks.

Paul