Re: Putting Splinter on bugzilla.gnome.org

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 11:09 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I can put some work in on testing and fixing on other browsers than
> Firefox and adding warnings if you are using IE6 ... maybe not
> immediately but soon.

- Did some testing
- Spent some time making it work pretty well with IE7. (Without
  any real justification, got sucked in by the challenge, but some of
  the problems with IE were actual bugs in the Splinter code so so it
  wasn't completely wasted time.)
- Added a warning for IE6

Based on the stats below, time spent on Opera might have been more worth
it than time spent on IE... though they are both in the 1% range.

- Owen

User-Agent Stats on POST to /process_bug.cgi last week
(People changing bugs probably are most representative of people
who would want to use Splinter, then general access to Bugzilla, which
tends to get distorted by random google hits)

Total - 3104

Gecko - 2319
  Firefox/3.5.3 - 976
  Firefox/3.0.14 - 384
  Firefox/3.5.2 - 224
  Epiphany/2.22 Firefox/3.0 - 126
  Epiphany/2.2 Firefox/3.5 - 112
  Iceweasel/3.0.14 - 72

WebKit - 684
  Unidentified Linux (Epiphany?) - 454
  Chrome - 188
  Midori - 19
  Safari - 10
  Iron - 7
  Epiphany - 4

Opera - 43
  10.00 - 43

git-bz - 35

MSIE - 20
  7.0 - 11
  8.0 - 7
  6.0 - 7

Konqueror - 2

Testing results
===============

Firefox-3.5.3, Fedora 11

Development platform, no known problems. DOM Storage and draft
saving work out of the box.

Epiphany 2.28.0 (webkitgtk-1.1.15), Fedora 12

textareas a few pixels too short at the bottom. DOM Storage and
draft saving work out of the box.

Chromium 4.0.220.0-0.1.20090930svn27599, Fedora 11

textareas a few pixels misaligned at the right, and a few pixels
too short at the bottom.  Needs --enable-local-storage on the command
line to enable DOM Storage and draft saving.

Konqueror 4.3.0

Comes up, looks good, but adding inline comments didn't work;
Apparently doesn't support dblclick event according to quirksmode.org.
No DOM Storage.

Firefox-3.5.1, OS X 10.5

textareas for inline comments a few pixels too short. DOM Storage and
draft saving work out of the box.

Safari 3.2.1, OS X 10.5

textareas a few pixels too short. No DOM Storage or draft saving. Draft
indicator on a separate line.

Firefox-3.0.8, Windows

textareas for inline comments a few pixels too short. No DOM Storage
or draft saving. Draft indicator on a separate line.

IE 7, Windows

Did not work out of the box, required fixes for a few bugs in splinter
and a small pile of minor workarounds. Remaining problems:

  - Overall Comment box doesn't change color on focus
  - textarea for inline comments have buggy partial borders
  - Draft indicator on a separate line

No DOM Storage or draft saving. Should be there for IE8, not tested.

IE6, Windows

Did not test, added prominent warning at the top of the page.

Operator 10, Windows

Mostly looks good, but seemed to be some problem parsing or
formatting reviews. Not quite functional. Didn't investigate further.