Re: Putting Splinter on bugzilla.gnome.org

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 11:02:36PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  * A Bugzilla extension for tight integration:
>
>    - Links from review comments to the review
>    - Links from the attachment table to review pages
>    - Posting reviews with attachment status changes doesn't
>      send two emails.
>    - Integrated appearance (Bugzilla header/footer)

It is an extension that relies on something being installed on the
server? How does Splinter connect with Bugzilla? Why have splinter be
seperate? Shouldn't everything just stay within the Bugzilla extension?

What happens if you use an old browser btw? I don't want it to appear if
you do not have the right browser. Further, if someone still posts the
link, it should fall back properly (e.g. display an warning). At the
moment it is very confusing if you see it in IE7.

>     http://splinter.fishsoup.net/help.html
>
> I have more stuff I want to do with it eventually (allow specifying what
> lines are being commented, keynav, getting extra context from Git,
> tracking of what patches obsolete what, etc), but I think it's useful as
> is and what I need most is user feedback.

> My thought at this point is to just to go ahead and install it onto
> bugzilla.gnome.org later this week once the GNOME Shell 2.28.0 preview
> release is out the door. There's always a chance to break something, but
> I think it's pretty small here and I'll be around to fix anything I
> break.

We'll need to figure out how to properly handle that extension. This as
I want everything in one module, no mix of different things. Perhaps you
should commit the extension to the Bzr repos of b.g.o.
Further, splinter itself should be on git.gnome.org; I saw a typo in a
comment in the webservice part which I couldn't fix.

btw: Bugzilla HEAD attachment.cgi is a bit nicer.

I did wonder why you repeated the login method in the webservice part.

> Yell now if you object.

Seems ok, just wonder about the Splinter <-> Bugzilla interaction. How
Splinter retrieves information. I see Splinter->Bugzilla is just
XML-RPC, wonder about Bugzilla->Splinter.

Olav