Re: GNOME to migrate to git

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 13:37 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>> Also, has anybody done much experimentation with using git and its
>> various GUI tools in Windows or Mac?  I'm going to need some
>> documentation on l.g.o for my contributors on those platforms.  I don't
>> mind writing it myself if nobody else has started something similar, but
>> I was wondering if anybody had pointers or words of warning.  :-)
>
> I've used git with success on both. I'm not sure I have the best advice,
> since I'm not really a native user of either :-). On Windows:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Provides a quite solid port of the Unix experience to Windows. You can
> open a terminal window with a bash command line and work pretty much
> exactly like you would on Linux. You do have to know the cygwin path
> conventions 'cd /c/myprog'...) It should also be possible to use the git
> tools from cmd.exe as well, though then people might have more trouble
> following docs written for Unix.
>
> The proper setup to work with putty is something that needs
> documentation; I had some trouble there, and gave up and used openssh
> as shipped with msysgit (you know ~/.ssh/id_rsa, etc) instead, but putty
> is more natural for Windows users.

I'm fairly adept with putty on windows these days, even though my
primary job function has shifted from working on computers to doing
engineering with computers.  If you run in to troubles with it once
you have some prelimimary docs written, I'll take a look and see if I
can't hammer out any issues.
     Greg