Re: git migration: nnielsen -> stefw and seahorse-plugins

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 23:26 +0000, Stef Walter wrote:
> I hope this is the right place to bring up these two small points about
> the git migration:
>
>  * If possible, I'd like my real name 'Stef Walter' [1] to be used when
>    migrating from from svn to git. I imagine we'll have full names in
>    the commit strings?

I think the first step here is to get an account created for stefw. Just
follow the normal accounts procedure there. (You can probably vouch for
yourself as a maintainer...) Once that's working that you can request at
accounts gnome org to disable the nnielsen account.

What we aren't going to do is rename the old account or delete it - that
would create all sorts of potential problems.

Once the stefw account is created you can ask krh to adjust his mapping
table to map 'krh' commits onto Stef Walters <stefw src gnome org>.
The Committer: in will be right. If you've pasted the ChangeLog entries
into the log entries, then whatever is in there will appear as Author:,
since we extract Author from the svn log entries when possible.

(I actually got krh to adjust the map table to map owen => otaylor
since I used to use 'owen' in CVS in the distant past...)

>  * The seahorse-plugins repository [2] should probably end up as it's
>    own module rather than sharing one with seahorse.
>
> How would I go about accomplishing the above points? If I could
> contribute to help make them a reality in any way, I'd love to know.

Hmm, I'll have to defer to krh on whether we can do this during the
import or not. It shouldn't be a problem (other than figuring out the
magic invocation) for you to use git-filter-branch after the import to
extract a subtree and then you can import that yourself as a new module.

That reminds me, we need to check with murrayc as to whether he is happy
with:

 http://git.gnome.org/cgit/preview/gnomemm/

Which also has that separate-trunks issue.

- Owen