Re: GNOME to migrate to git

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 13:37 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> On 03/19/2009 04:04 AM, Lucas Rocha wrote:
> > The new git.gnome.org server is now in good shape and contains a functional
> > preview of all GNOME git repositories. The official migration of all our
> > Subversion repositories to git will take place just after the 2.26.1
> > release, on April 16.
>
> Is the current plan that *all* of GNOME SVN will move to git at once?
> At one point, there was talk of doing the migration gradually during
> some arbitrary window of time.

We've moved about 20 modules already, including some of the most heavily
hacked on modules (vala, seed, gnome-shell).

The plan is to move the rest at once to avoid a lot of "what's where"
confusion, though there has been some discussion about whether GNOME
release modules can request to move earlier if they have special
development needs.

> Also, has anybody done much experimentation with using git and its
> various GUI tools in Windows or Mac?  I'm going to need some
> documentation on l.g.o for my contributors on those platforms.  I don't
> mind writing it myself if nobody else has started something similar, but
> I was wondering if anybody had pointers or words of warning.  :-)

I've used git with success on both. I'm not sure I have the best advice,
since I'm not really a native user of either :-). On Windows:

 http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Provides a quite solid port of the Unix experience to Windows. You can
open a terminal window with a bash command line and work pretty much
exactly like you would on Linux. You do have to know the cygwin path
conventions 'cd /c/myprog'...) It should also be possible to use the git
tools from cmd.exe as well, though then people might have more trouble
following docs written for Unix.

The proper setup to work with putty is something that needs
documentation; I had some trouble there, and gave up and used openssh
as shipped with msysgit (you know ~/.ssh/id_rsa, etc) instead, but putty
is more natural for Windows users.

On the Mac,

 http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/

Works. It should be possible to install Git via MacPorts as well.

- Owen