Re: New module import to git.gnome.og

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 13:22 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> On 03/17/2009 11:59 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
>>
>> > Method 2
>> > ========
>> >
>> >   A) You make sure you have a local copy with all tags and
>> >      branches you want pushed and no other tags and branches
>> >      If you already have a public repository, do:
>> >
>> >       git clone --bare --mirror<origin>
>> >
>> >      If you don't have a public repository, use 'git branch'
>> >      and 'git tag -l' to make sure that things look good,
>> >      and 'git branch -D' and 'git tag -d' to remove unwanted
>> >      stuff.
>> >
>> >   B) You upload a tarball of that to an import script
>> >
>> >      tar cfz . | ssh<user>@svn.gnome.org import-git-repos exampleproj
>> >
>> >   C) We unpack the input, figure out what is going on, create the
>> >      repository, push into it, enable the commit hooks.
>> >
>> > Downsides:
>> >
>> >   - A bit more work to write the script
>> >   - Less flexible
>> >   - Still possible to screw up the import by getting A) wrong.
>> >
>> > Opinions? Other ways we could handle it?
>>
>> git-bundle instead of tar?
>
> Maybe I'm missing how to git-bundle, but packing the entire current
> repository with git-bundle seems to require:
>
> git bundle create exampleproj.bundle \
>     $(git-rev-parse --symbolic-full-name --branches --tags)
>
> or something along those lines; the idea of the tar was that it would
> maybe be inefficient (upload the working copy, .o files you have around
> etc, some tarballs you make distchecked...), but it would be fairly
> fool-proof.
>
> - Owen

Looks like this would work:

git bundle create - --branches --tags | ssh user git gnome org
import-git-bundle exampleproj

I initially preferred Method 1, but method 2 with above syntax hides
the refs/heads business. And if i really just want to publish my
master branch i can use git bundle create - master, so far as i can
tell.

John