Re: A timeline? [was Re: Scheduling the Bugzilla Upgrade]
- From: Max Kanat-Alexander <mkanat everythingsolved com>
- To: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- Cc: gnome-infrastructure gnome org
- Subject: Re: A timeline? [was Re: Scheduling the Bugzilla Upgrade]
- Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:43:38 -0700
Owen Taylor wrote:
Do you have a detailed plan of how you see this happening?
Hey Owen! Here's what I have so far:
Starts at 9:00am Pacific time on Saturday.
1) Reboot bugzilla-web so that it picks up its additional CPUs (if not
2) Set up a redirect on both the current bugzilla.gnome.org and
bugzilla-web.gnome.org to a "the server is down" page. (Can't use
Bugzilla's "shutdownhtml" parameter because it doesn't work when the
database is down, in 2.20, as far as I know.)
3) Change the DNS of "bugzilla.gnome.org" to point to
4) Drop the current test "bugs" database on bugzilla-web.gnome.org.
5) Owen/Sysadmin: Copy over the raw database files for the "bugs"
database from button to drawable. Make sure to set permissions and
SELinux context so that MySQL can read the DB.
6) Owen/Sysadmin: Restart MySQL on drawable, if necessary, to have it
see the new DB.
7) Assure that MySQL believes the "bugs" database on drawable is
"latin1" (important for the upgrade procedure to understand how to
convert the database to utf8).
8) Copy the contents of the data/ directory over from label to bugzilla-web
9) bzr up bugzilla.gnome.org and traceparser to be certain that they're
the latest versions.
10) Make sure the "utf8" parameter is disabled in data/params.
At this point it should be about 10am.
nohup time ./checksetup.pl -t /dev/null > checksetup-results &
(This will run upgrade up to the UTF-8 creation point, and then quit.)
Time: 20 minutes
nohup time contrib/recode.pl --guess --charset=cp1252 >>
(Will convert any non-utf8 character sequences to valid UTF-8.)
Time: 5 minutes
13) Enable the utf8 parameter
nohup time ./checksetup.pl -t >> checksetup-results &
(Will complete the upgrade.)
Time: 2.5 hours
17) Drop the "bugzilla-test.gnome.org" VirtualHost (so that it can be
re-used in the future for other test upgrades and so that people don't
continue to use it for the live system).
18) Restart httpd on bugzilla-web.
19) Set "shutdownhtml" on bugzilla-web.
20) Disable the redirect on bugzilla-web, thus enabling editing
parameters on the system.
21) Set parameters, particularly attachmentbase.
22) Clear the shutdownhtml parameter, set a message in "announcehtml"
that this is a new Bugzilla server and any problems experienced with it
should be filed in the bugzilla.gnome.org blocking a certain bug
(perhaps with a pre-filled link).
Are there are any other prep steps needed from the sysadmin side?
Yes, I'll send a separate email about them.
Everything Solved: Complete Computer Management
] [Thread Prev