Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

Am Montag, den 21.01.2008, 23:16 +0100 schrieb Olav Vitters:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 03:49:27PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > >
> > > As for the one-time conversion, yes. Otherwise I'd say no.
> >
> > Then I'm not in favor.  Redundancy is like others have mentioned a
> > recipe for one falling out-dated.
>
> Parsing those files is not workable. As said before, this is too much of
> a burden on me to keep on adding 'magic' to somehow parse random text
> into gnome userids (theoretically: other sysadmins). Due to various
> objections raised in the thread I've come to the conclusion that what
> would be ideal (IMO) from an infrastructure standpoint is not possible
> in practice without ignoring too many maintainers.
>
> As a result, I will not implement my proposal, nor anything related to
> the information which would be in doap, including what I've been doing
> manually. This includes e.g. svn-commits-list reply-to updates and
> damned-lies&&MAINTAINERS->Mango userid 'sync'.

Olav, I don't believe a single person here wants to shutdown your
initiative. All that happened is that objections were raised. Quite
some objections have been cleared in the meantime, for instance there
seems to be consense now, that:

  * having a central, normalized place for project meta data is wanted
  * RDF/Turtle is a reasonable file format for that purpose
  * release information will be injected by install-module
  * missing information can be easily injected, in a way useful
    for GNOME and external consumers

So what's missing?

  * we don't know yet how to place the file at some central place,
    ensuring that the RDF file is updated regularly, and kept in sync
    with traditional meta data

Would be a shame to stop at this point.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/