Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

Hi all,

I've read the entire thread.  I didn't see my thoughts on this mentioned
already, so I add them here.

I don't care what the infra team does to keep an updated view of my
modules as long as it leaves outside of the module and doesn't need
manual updating regularly (even every year is considered regularly.
Sorry!  More on that later.)

What I do care about is that all released modules MUST have the files
AUTHORS, README, and MAINTAINERS, some also have THANKS.  Most of these
are required by GNU Coding Standards which is a really great document,
and my other reason for this is that when a user downloads and unpacks a
tarball, they don't look for a DOAP file, they look for those ol'
big-letter files.

Which brings us to the logical conclusion that either the big-letter
files should be created from DOAP file automatically, or the other way
around.  I'm sure most agree that other way around is preferred at this
time.  Right?

So, what I like to see is, MAINTAINERS and AUTHORS automatically scanned
for names/address/login-ids and central DOAP file updated and as a
result Bugzilla developers for the module updated.  Bugzilla module for
a SVN module also can be easily extracted from configure.{in,ac}.  It's
supposed to be at least.

The rest of the DOAP bits, not sure where they are supposed to be
updated from.  Direct commit to the doap repo works for me.  That's not
harder than updating GTK+ website with every Pango release at least...

To summarize, seems to me like most of the thread was in fact irrelevant
as I don't see any change being proposed to individual modules.  It's
about gathering meta-information about GNOME in a central place, and I
don't see how that can be bad, even if the format is not perfect.  We
can always write an XSL style to convert to any other one, right?
That's what's great about XML, right?

Cheers,

behdad