Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

2008-01-21 klockan 21:08 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:
> Which brings us to the logical conclusion that either the big-letter
> files should be created from DOAP file automatically, or the other way
> around.  I'm sure most agree that other way around is preferred at this
> time.  Right?

As for the one-time conversion, yes. Otherwise I'd say no.

> So, what I like to see is, MAINTAINERS and AUTHORS automatically scanned
> for names/address/login-ids and central DOAP file updated and as a
> result Bugzilla developers for the module updated.  Bugzilla module for
> a SVN module also can be easily extracted from configure.{in,ac}.  It's
> supposed to be at least.

The same applies here: only for the initial import methinks.

> To summarize, seems to me like most of the thread was in fact irrelevant
> as I don't see any change being proposed to individual modules.  It's
> about gathering meta-information about GNOME in a central place, and I
> don't see how that can be bad, even if the format is not perfect.  We
> can always write an XSL style to convert to any other one, right?
> That's what's great about XML, right?

No, since DOAP is not XML---it's RDF encoded as XML. RDF-XML is not a
canonical representation, and the parse tree may be completely different
while still bearing the same information. That's not to say RDF cannot be
transformed: RDF was intended to be machine-parseable by design, just like
(traditional) XML.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

i'll be your sun coming up :: i'll be your dark days         -- heather nova