Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

Hi Olav, I only saw part of this thread, as I only get g-h and
gnome-infrastructure, but I just read the thread on ddl (well, except
for the super long post from Mathias Hasselmann, which just looked to
be completely crazy to me).

On Jan 21, 2008 5:16 PM, Olav Vitters <ovitters gmail com> wrote:
[snip]
> Due to various
> objections raised in the thread I've come to the conclusion that what
> would be ideal (IMO) from an infrastructure standpoint is not possible
> in practice without ignoring too many maintainers.
>
> As a result, I will not implement my proposal, nor anything related to
> the information which would be in doap, including what I've been doing
> manually. This includes e.g. svn-commits-list reply-to updates and
> damned-lies&&MAINTAINERS->Mango userid 'sync'.

The only objections that I've seen are the sort that need to be
steamrolled.  The support visible from my seat was mostly positive.
The only legitimate concern that I've seen was from Bastien, and his
can be fixed by drumming up some help.  Just get whoever is recruiting
new triagers at the moment to send you a few who aren't ready for much
else, or even some newbies, and have them fix all of the ones that
don't get done automatically with a script.  This has the potential to
be such a HUGE improvement for GNOME, that I think it would be a huge
shame to see it not happen.  I do hope you can ignore a couple of
noisy wheels and trust that most maintainers have read your proposal.
I expect that most of them DO think it would be a good thing, but even
if they don't, their silence means that they do not object, in the
truest of Unix traditions.  Later,
    Greg