Re: GNOME Infrastructure update

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 08:33 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I think it would be much better to have a real discussion in private
> than an obfusticated and unclear discussion in public.

It will definitely help. Are you thinking about email, phone call...?
Suggest and we will follow.

We are probably in a point in which we could solve our Infrastructure
weaknesses, since there seems to be a context of organizations willing
to help. There are many sub-discussions, though, that create
dependencies between them. We should avoid the fish eating its tail.

- We need to know what are the current needs and weaknesses of the GNOME
infrastructure in order to know if we need more help, and which kind of
help. We have been hearing the "We need more servers" claim for months,
but we should move forward into a more specific statement. This is
something the GNOME Infrastructure team can discuss by its own, and you
decide what bits of the discussion need to be open and private.

- If it's still true that we still need more resources, we need to know
which are the requirements or conditions of the GNOME Infrastructure
team in order to get efficient help. Some potential donors will be happy
offering a server to be placed in the RedHat racks. Some potential
donors will be happy co-locating a server in their own hosting
infrastructure. We might find other combinations and we need to know in
which cases we want to collaborate. This discussion is half the fish.

- The other half of the fish is the negotiation with potential donors.
To me it's not that good to start negotiations without having a clear
idea of the previous points. For instance, if Serious Company X is
offering us top quality hosting in their own server infrastructure we
need to know if we consider useful to have resources out of the current
infrastructure at RedHat or not. Having a more detailed policy about
hardware requirements or permission levels or whatever you think
appropriate to define would be also helpful.