Re: GNOME Infrastructure update

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 08:52 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The GNOME Foundation board has received some offers for getting free
> servers and bandwidth for the GNOME infrastructure. In the line of
> stepping out of the way, delegate, let things get done, etc, we think
> the board role here is to set the initial contacts and then leave the
> details and the decisions to the Infrastructure team.
>
> These offers include server co-location out of RedHat, in the own
> infrastructures of each donor/host. We could probably get some more help
> from Advisory Board companies if we need it. These steps would imply the
> move to a more decentralized infrastructure.
>
> I am no sysadmin myself, nor I pretend to. All the planning and
> decisions to face this decentralization process need to come from the
> GNOME Infrastructure team, obviously. Hopefully I can help as a contact
> with the board and initial contact with potential donors/hosts.

Co-incidentally enough, we have just started a discussion about this on
the internal gnome-sysadmin team. We are aware of a very attractive
offer of servers and hosting from one other donor, and were discussing
the advantages that they are able to offer us over our existing
arrangements. I am in contact with them directly already. I'm not sure
yet what information/offers I can make public, but I'll pass on the
details here when I know I can :)

There are a few small issues we will need to discuss and agree on
internally within the sysadmin team first, such as the ifs, whos, hows
and whens, etc. I'll then draft up some kind of 'master plan and
schedule' and post it for review here on 'gnome-infrastructure' (copied
to 'board-list').

If you have any other information to add, such as new/other donors
interested in offering servers or hosting, please forward the details on
to the team ('gnome-sysadmin gnome org') so we can contact them directly
and factor their offers into our discussions and decisions.

Thanks,

--
Ross